Marijuana to be decriminalized in New York?
Category: Legalization | Posted on Tue, June, 5th 2012 by THCFinder
Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York is calling for his state to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana, noting that pot busts apprehend a disproportionate number of young African-Americans and Latinos.
New York City arrested 50,684 people in 2011 for possessing small amounts of cannabis, often in stop-and-frisk circumstances in which police ask suspects to empty their pockets.
The call by Cuomo, which must be approved by the New York Legislature, comes as two states — Washington and Colorado — get set to vote in November on measures that would legalize marijuana and put the state in charge of regulating its growing and sale.
Seattle is host each summer to Hempfest, the largest cannabis celebration in North America. The city also voted in 2003 to put marijuana possession at the bottom of its law enforcement priorities.
- 191,284 Views Category: Odd
- 150,402 Views Category: Fun
- 139,861 Views Category: Culture
- 101,003 Views Category: Culture
- 99,606 Views Category: Culture
- 99,326 Views Category: Fun
- 80,029 Views Category: Culture
- 78,203 Views Category: Odd
- 70,089 Views Category: Fun
- 63,268 Views Category: Fun