Is Michigan ready to decriminalize marijuana?
Category: News | Posted on Sat, April, 20th 2013 by THCFinder
LANSING, MI - A Democratic state lawmaker from Ann Arbor is ready to formally launch a bid to decriminalize possession of relatively small amounts of marijuana.
Rep. Jeff Irwin plans to formally announce his Michigan House legislation next week. It calls for making possession of one ounce or less of pot a civil infraction rather than a crime classified as a misdemeanor. That means the offense would carry a fine, but not the threat of jail time.
Other punishments – including for those related to intent to deliver or sell marijuana, or possession of more than one ounce – would not change.
At first blush, it would appear the bill faces long odds against passage in the Republican-led Legislature. Irwin acknowledges there are “some significant blockers that are going to make it very, very difficult to pass.”
Ari Adler, a spokesman for Republican House Speaker Jase Bolger, said the bill isn't going to be a priority.
"This may be a high issue for Rep. Irwin, but there are many other things facing Michigan that we need to deal with first," Adler said in an email. "Of course, if he was more willing to work with us on finding solutions for heavy issues, he might have a better chance of lighting up his 1-ounce initiatives."
But Irwin said there a number of lawmakers who support limited government and individual freedoms -- which could gain the bill some traction.
“I think that there is far more support than folks would initially think in the Legislature for this idea,” Irwin said.
Read more: http://www.mlive.com
42.0 Facts About Marijuana, And Why It Should Be Legal
Category: Culture | Posted on Sat, April, 20th 2013 by THCFinder
The year is 2013. And weed remains illegal. We can’t do anything other than keep pushing, pleading, voting, and smoking the herb we love. There is nothing in this life more powerful than facts-and facts can only be ignored for so long. Here are 42 facts about marijuana:
1. No one has ever overdosed or died from smoking too much weed. In the history of mankind.
2. Marijuana has been in an “official” state of prohibition since 1937-s Marijuana Tax Act (in the United States). Because, among other reasons, it made white women desire black men.
3. Colorado and Washington legalized cannabis for recreational use this past October. They have estimated tax revenues of over $550 Million from this legalization.
4. There are more medical marijuana dispensaries than Starbucks in Los Angeles and Denver. Because reefer is safter than coffee.
5. There are 26 States with pending marijuana legislation, both medical and legal. 8 of these states have a legitimate chance to legalize recreational use. This is called a “Tipping Point.”
6. Over the last decade, the NYPD has spent 1 Million Hours Making 440,000 Marijuana Arrests.
7.The first law in America relating to cannabis was a 1619 law that actually required farmers to grow the hemp plant. Once harvested, hemp was useful for clothing, sails, and rope.
8. In 1906, cannabis was labeled as a “poison” and states began restricting its sale.
9. By the mid 1930s, cannabis was regulated as a drug in every state.
10. From 1850 to 1942, marijuana was listed in the United States Pharmacopoeia as a useful medicine for nausea, rheumatism, and labor pains and could be purchased from pharmacies and general stores.
Read more: http://www.theweedblog.com
- 184,270 Views Category: Odd
- 144,947 Views Category: Fun
- 134,987 Views Category: Culture
- 93,005 Views Category: Culture
- 92,438 Views Category: Fun
- 91,053 Views Category: Culture
- 73,759 Views Category: Culture
- 71,390 Views Category: Odd
- 63,827 Views Category: Fun
- 56,708 Views Category: Fun