Head of U.N. drug agency wants U.S. to fight new marijuana laws
Category: News | Posted on Thu, November, 22nd 2012 by THCFinder
VIENNA -- The head of the U.N. drug watchdog agency is urging U.S. officials to challenge ballot measures in Colorado and Washington state that decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults 21 and over.
Raymond Yans said the approvals send "a wrong message to the rest of the nation and it sends a wrong message abroad."
Yans heads the International Narcotics Control Board. He told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he hopes Attorney General Eric Holder "will take all the necessary measures" to ensure that marijuana possession and use remain illegal throughout the U.S.
Yans' announcement was greeted with a mixture of indifference (a vast collective yawn being the primary reaction) and hostility ("tell that UN moron to go fuck himself," one stoner offered) in the American cannabis community.
Both states are holding off on plans to regulate and tax the drug while waiting to see whether the Justice Department will assert federal authority. The U.N. agency has no enforcement ability.
- 177,407 Views Category: Odd
- 140,821 Views Category: Fun
- 131,108 Views Category: Culture
- 88,191 Views Category: Culture
- 87,430 Views Category: Fun
- 86,497 Views Category: Culture
- 69,608 Views Category: Culture
- 66,442 Views Category: Odd
- 59,319 Views Category: Fun
- 52,145 Views Category: Fun