Head of U.N. drug agency wants U.S. to fight new marijuana laws
Category: News | Posted on Thu, November, 22nd 2012 by THCFinder
VIENNA -- The head of the U.N. drug watchdog agency is urging U.S. officials to challenge ballot measures in Colorado and Washington state that decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults 21 and over.
Raymond Yans said the approvals send "a wrong message to the rest of the nation and it sends a wrong message abroad."
Yans heads the International Narcotics Control Board. He told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he hopes Attorney General Eric Holder "will take all the necessary measures" to ensure that marijuana possession and use remain illegal throughout the U.S.
Yans' announcement was greeted with a mixture of indifference (a vast collective yawn being the primary reaction) and hostility ("tell that UN moron to go fuck himself," one stoner offered) in the American cannabis community.
Both states are holding off on plans to regulate and tax the drug while waiting to see whether the Justice Department will assert federal authority. The U.N. agency has no enforcement ability.
- 180,845 Views Category: Odd
- 142,728 Views Category: Fun
- 132,854 Views Category: Culture
- 90,220 Views Category: Culture
- 89,688 Views Category: Fun
- 88,584 Views Category: Culture
- 71,472 Views Category: Culture
- 68,727 Views Category: Odd
- 61,461 Views Category: Fun
- 54,417 Views Category: Fun