| Posted on Tue, January, 28th 2014 by THCFinder
All animals possess THC receptors in their brains, allowing the body to process the chemical and use it to it's advantage. But while humans are able to take large doses of THC, animals can't handle the large amounts that we can. That's why it's extremely important that you keep your animals away from your medicated treats, avoid leaving flowers or concentrates where a pet could get them, and obviously never blow smoke in your pets face. Animals are meant to be our companions. If you're smoking up with an animal, you could be putting your furry friend at a high risk of bad reaction to the marijuana.
Since 2009, calls to the Animal Poison Control Center have drastically increased by about 30%. A veterinary clinic in Boulder, CO states that they see roughly one case of a pet that had ingested marijuana. The majority of these cases are accidents, although if the animal was given marijuana on purpose, the sheer embarrassment and stupidity of their actions is enough to deter anyone from admitting that. An emergency veterinary clinic in La Mesa, California says that they see at least one or two cases a week. The uncontrolled doses of marijuana can cause effects that resemble drunkenness. Mostly effecting dogs, the animal sometimes even staggers around wetting itself. Yeah, the reaction is that severe.
Since edibles are highly concentrated, due to the fatty acid that has absorbed the THC (usually butter or oil of sorts), they are the most dangerous form for animals. An owner can turn away for a second and a sneaky dog can scarf down a medicated cookie without their owner even knowing. Not only that but a lot of edibles are made with chocolate, raisins, and other ingredients that aren't good for dogs. We all know that pets should eat chocolate. So a double reaction, both to the sweet treat and the cannabis can be extremely devastating, sometimes even fatal. Raisins are also quite dangerous for dogs, causing kidney failure.
The best advice I can give? Unless you're working with your vet to give your animal measured, doctor recommended doses of cannabis, then your pet shouldn't be ingesting it. Even if you're just trying to make them feel as awesome as you do when you're high, they don't handle it like we do and it's best to keep them away from your stash. Don't leave edibles where a pet can get them and don't leave buds, dabs, or any other form of marijuana within reach of animals.