How Cannabis Can Revolutionize Our Economy
"How can you have 56 percent of Americans in support of fully ending the drug war, and zero senators in support of it?" asks Doug Fine, investigative journalist and author of new book, Too High To Fail.
Fine sat down with ReasonTV's Tracy Oppenheimer to discuss his time spent in the cannabis capital of California, Mendocino County, and why he thinks this drug can help save the American economy. And it's not just about collecting taxes.
"The industrial [uses] may one day dwarf the psychoactive ones. If we start using it for fermentation for our energy needs, it can produce great biofuels," says Fine, "already, cannabis is in the bumpers of Dodge Vipers."
So why don’t more politicians favor legalization? The key lies with who owns elected officials. These business interests don’t want to “revolutionize” our economy because this means more competition for them. They prefer the old economy and their safe positions within it.
Which means no matter what the poll numbers say, the money behind prohibition must be overcome. The revolution is coming, slowly but surely. Truth cannot be contained forever.
- 184,165 Views Category: Odd
- 144,894 Views Category: Fun
- 134,917 Views Category: Culture
- 92,915 Views Category: Culture
- 92,357 Views Category: Fun
- 90,939 Views Category: Culture
- 73,695 Views Category: Culture
- 71,315 Views Category: Odd
- 63,767 Views Category: Fun
- 56,636 Views Category: Fun