How Cannabis Can Revolutionize Our Economy
"How can you have 56 percent of Americans in support of fully ending the drug war, and zero senators in support of it?" asks Doug Fine, investigative journalist and author of new book, Too High To Fail.
Fine sat down with ReasonTV's Tracy Oppenheimer to discuss his time spent in the cannabis capital of California, Mendocino County, and why he thinks this drug can help save the American economy. And it's not just about collecting taxes.
"The industrial [uses] may one day dwarf the psychoactive ones. If we start using it for fermentation for our energy needs, it can produce great biofuels," says Fine, "already, cannabis is in the bumpers of Dodge Vipers."
So why don’t more politicians favor legalization? The key lies with who owns elected officials. These business interests don’t want to “revolutionize” our economy because this means more competition for them. They prefer the old economy and their safe positions within it.
Which means no matter what the poll numbers say, the money behind prohibition must be overcome. The revolution is coming, slowly but surely. Truth cannot be contained forever.
- 183,617 Views Category: Odd
- 144,596 Views Category: Fun
- 134,645 Views Category: Culture
- 92,493 Views Category: Culture
- 91,939 Views Category: Fun
- 90,602 Views Category: Culture
- 73,372 Views Category: Culture
- 70,945 Views Category: Odd
- 63,413 Views Category: Fun
- 56,319 Views Category: Fun