Group Says Imperial Beachs Ban On Marijuana Dispensaries Is Illegal
Category: Dispensaries | Posted on Mon, June, 20th 2011 by THCFinder
SAN DIEGO — A leading medical marijuana advocacy group says Imperial Beach's decision to ban pot dispensaries is illegal. Even so, a number of other cities and counties statewide have taken similar action.
At least nine California counties and 129 cities have banned medical marijuana dispensaries. Many others have moratoriums, or use zoning laws to effectively prevent them from operating.
Joe Elford is chief counsel with the advocacy group Americans for Safe Access. He thinks Imperial Beach's outright ban wouldn't stand up in court.
"There are a number of cases that are pending and we're involved in some of those cases," Elford said, "and eventually the court will resolve the issue. But the short answer is we do not believe those types of bans are legal."
Last week the Imperial Beach City Council approved the ban by a 4-1 vote. One councilman said he believed the courts could require the city to allow at least one dispensary.
- 195,007 Views Category: Odd
- 153,861 Views Category: Fun
- 143,678 Views Category: Culture
- 106,806 Views Category: Culture
- 105,017 Views Category: Culture
- 103,515 Views Category: Fun
- 94,430 Views Category: Fun
- 94,244 Views Category: Videos
- 92,711 Views Category: Culture
- 90,795 Views Category: News