The Stupidity of L.A.s Medical Marijuana Dispensary Ban
In this video The Young Turks discuss the recent medical cannabis dispensary ban in the city of Los Angeles and how…well, stupid it is. They also tie the city council’s decision into the larger drug war as a whole, and how depressing it is to see what seems like regression on an issue we thought we had won.
But patients and advocates will continue to fight. In fact, on Friday a medical marijuana trade group and 11 patients sued the city of Los Angeles, looking to block enforcement of an ordinance that would shut down most of the city's storefront pot dispensaries in three weeks.
The lawsuit, which says users are protected by California's 1996 legalization of medical marijuana and the U.S. Constitution, seeks an immediate injunction to keep Los Angeles officials from closing down dispensaries beginning on Sept. 6.
Meanwhile, advocates are canvassing the city gathering signatures to get a repeal of the ban on the ballot. A lot of energy that should be directed at helping patients now has to be spent defending the very right of people to have a choice in what medicine they take.
- 183,569 Views Category: Odd
- 144,580 Views Category: Fun
- 134,626 Views Category: Culture
- 92,462 Views Category: Culture
- 91,911 Views Category: Fun
- 90,583 Views Category: Culture
- 73,350 Views Category: Culture
- 70,918 Views Category: Odd
- 63,389 Views Category: Fun
- 56,296 Views Category: Fun