Bills in Congress Would Add More Protections for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
There are several bills before Congress that would ensure that federal investigators and prosecutors would allow citizens of states with progressive marijuana laws to exercise their legal rights:
- House Bill 1983, the States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act, provides for rescheduling of marijuana in the federal criminal code for the use of medical marijuana in accordance with various state laws.
- House Bill 1984, the Small Business Banking Improvement Act, includes a provision that would protect financial institutions that accept deposits made by owners of medical marijuana dispensaries.
- House Bill 1985, the Small Business Tax Equity Act, would amend the IRS tax code to allow businesses to deduct expenses associated with selling marijuana to patients for medical purposes as authorized by state laws.
Something has to be done to limit the power of the DEA, since the Department of Justice or The White House is not going to rein them in.
Who would have thought 4 years ago that we would even be discussing these things? When President Obama was elected it looked as if he was going to lay off medical marijuana. Not give caregivers and providers any special treatment necessarily, but at least leave them alone to be regulated by the states they were in.
Instead, the Obama Administration has chosen to threaten and raids dispensaries at a rate the Bush Administration would have blushed at. How did President Obama land farther right than George W. Bush on the issue of medical marijuana? And what is the purpose? What votes are these raids and threats pulling in?
Conservative, religious Republicans? Unlikely. Senior Citizens? Maybe, but is the “scourge” of medical marijuana dispensaries really high on the priority list of senior citizens? Aren’t they more focused on Social Security and Medicare?
- 172,739 Views Category: Odd
- 138,262 Views Category: Fun
- 128,476 Views Category: Culture
- 85,344 Views Category: Culture
- 84,155 Views Category: Fun
- 83,595 Views Category: Culture
- 67,153 Views Category: Culture
- 63,480 Views Category: Odd
- 56,455 Views Category: Fun
- 49,448 Views Category: Fun