Bad news for LA Dispensaries
Category: Dispensaries | Posted on Wed, May, 22nd 2013 by THCFinder
(Reuters) - Voters strongly supported a ballot measure to sharply curtail the number of medical marijuana dispensaries permitted to operate in Los Angeles while boosting taxes on the sale of pot for health reasons, election returns early on Wednesday showed.
The proposal appeared headed for passage. Returns showed 63 percent of voters supporting it compared with 37 percent opposed, after tabulation of more than 40 percent of ballots cast at polling stations on Tuesday, and all of the mail-in ballots received as of last Friday.
Two rival measures seemed likely to be defeated, with "no" votes far surpassing "yes" votes for each.
At least 800 storefront medical cannabis shops are estimated to be operating in Los Angeles, more than in any other U.S. city, and some residents have complained that the dispensaries are a blight on their neighborhoods.
Proposition D, placed on Tuesday's ballot by the City Council, would cap the number of dispensaries allowed to remain open at 135, said Rigo Valdez, director of organizing for the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 770, a union that supports the measure.
Read more: http://www.reuters.com
- 343,598 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 322,074 Views Category: Culture
- 244,769 Views Category: Fun
- 237,532 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 196,192 Views Category: Odd
- 154,757 Views Category: Fun
- 144,641 Views Category: Culture
- 132,456 Views Category: Videos
- 131,445 Views Category: Nugs
- 131,248 Views Category: News