Washington, D.C. To Give Minorities Preference for Getting into MMJ Industry
Members of the Washington D.C. Council advanced legislation to give local minority-owned companies a preference when applying for licenses to operate medical marijuana businesses.
While states generally don’t track the race and ethnicity of weed license applicants, it’s obvious to anyone who hasn’t been living under a rock for the past decade that most dispensaries and the vast majority of growing operations around the country are overwhelmingly dominated by white men.
This lack of minority representation is especially problematic given that African Americans were—and still are—disproportionately arrested and incarcerated during the War on Drugs, according to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
Marijuana use is roughly equal among blacks and whites, yet blacks are 3.73 times as likely to be arrested for possession, noteed the ACLU.
- 485,010 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 401,031 Views Category: Culture
- 315,100 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 279,433 Views Category: Fun
- 198,681 Views Category: Odd
- 156,922 Views Category: Fun
- 155,209 Views Category: Videos
- 154,161 Views Category: Nugs
- 149,881 Views Category: News
- 148,818 Views Category: Nugs