A push to create the next great American marijuana town
If California is the land of reinvention, the small desert city of Adelanto fits the bill.
Roughly a two-hour drive east from Los Angeles, Adelanto was founded in 1915 by an inventor who wanted to sell land to World War I veterans. His dream never materialized and the region was taken over by orchard farms, then poultry ranches. The nearby George Air Force Base opened and eventually closed in the early 1990s. The city more recently made a solar play, but the energy market fizzled. City unemployment hovers at 14 percent, well above the national unemployment rate of under 5 percent. And the big employers in town include prisons and the local school district.
As Pokemon Fans Grow Up, So Does The Merchandise
What strain are you smoking on today?
- 189,961 Views Category: Odd
- 149,353 Views Category: Fun
- 138,956 Views Category: Culture
- 99,115 Views Category: Culture
- 98,009 Views Category: Fun
- 97,681 Views Category: Culture
- 78,790 Views Category: Culture
- 76,991 Views Category: Odd
- 68,903 Views Category: Fun
- 61,793 Views Category: Fun