Pot initiatives: Predicting the next 15 states to legalize marijuana
A record high 64% of Americans support legalizing marijuana for recreational use, according to a 2017 Gallup Poll. Support for legalization is rooted in changing perceptions of the drug’s potential harm, as well as the prospect of hundreds of millions of dollars in marijuana sales and excise tax revenue for state governments.
The growing acceptance of marijuana among Americans has also been reflected in the ballot box. Currently, eight states and Washington, D.C., have legalized recreational marijuana. The eight states are Alaska, California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
Pro-pot initiatives passed in eight of the nine states in which they made it to the ballot in November 2016. Voters in Arkansas, Florida, Montana and North Dakota approved or expanded medical marijuana laws in their states. In Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada and California, voters approved recreational pot. Only Arizona’s push for full legalization failed.
- 418,424 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 367,825 Views Category: Culture
- 280,658 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 273,384 Views Category: Fun
- 197,180 Views Category: Odd
- 155,551 Views Category: Fun
- 149,169 Views Category: Videos
- 148,289 Views Category: News
- 148,285 Views Category: Nugs
- 147,112 Views Category: Nugs